Saturday, June 21, 2008

Bus By Night

It is technically June 21, but I just got home from a night out on June 20th. I was at a going away dinner for my friend Lacie. She will be leaving today for the United States. She is going for 10 weeks, but promises that she will be back in the fall. Lacie told the others how she and I see each other right before the departing of the other. Strangely, I feel that she and I have a connection, even though we never have had time that most friendships are given to grow.


I met her one day last summer, while critiquing her article. After that, I definitely thought that she would not like me. One night, my friend Myles brought the both of us together for an aperitivo. It turned out, we had a lot in common and she actually was not offended by my writing suggestions, but found them useful. Who knew? That was several nights before the end of my summer.

On the way back home from the party, I accidentally got on the wrong bus. It was the night bus. I knew I made a mistake as soon as I climbed on. No one else was on the bus except for a tall black man dressed in a suit standing right in the aisle waiting to greet me and Madonna’s 4 minutes was blaring from the Italian drivers IPod. I felt like I got on the party bus, but was the only one invited to the party.

The two guys on the bus were really funny.

“I am on the wrong bus,” I said repeatedly.

“Oh no, stay and we will have a couple of laughs,” said the driver. “I live right by you I’ll bring you home.”

I am sure he would love to bring me home.

Well I did stay and chat with them a bit. Apparently I was on the Bus by Night; a free bus service on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. The service is available from June 19 – August 9. The city of Florence bans cars from going into the center after a certain time, unless you are a resident. Now people can still enjoy the center’s night life, by parking their cars and taking the bus. It loops around all the hot spots, and stops at the cities major points, such as Ponte Santa Trinita, Via Tornabuoni and Borgo San Frediano.

I am glad I accidentally found out about the bus. It was a good way to end the night, chatting with two guys. I like meeting people by chance. It makes me believe in possibilities. Florence breeds accidental meetings. Many foreigners here are eager to meet new people. Whether they are studying, traveling, or just passing through. But these are not the friendships that will last, in my opinion.

No comments: