Saturday, February 28, 2009

Biblioteca delle Oblate

Biblioteca delle Oblate (Oblate Library) is one of my favorite places to spend time writing. It is situated in a building dating back to 1287, in the shadow of the Duomo, on Via San Egidio. Serving as a convent in the 15th century, the former home of the Monastero delle Oblate, was restored by the Comune di Firenze and converted into an active public library in 2007.

On each of the three levels, porticos border a green courtyard that contains stone sculptures. Students gather on the outdoor terrace to read, study and leisurely smoke cigarettes.

That is where I prefer to write. On a fall or winter day, I sit outside at one of the white small rounded tables. I try to pick a table graced by a ray of sunlight, to warm my fingers when typing, while the rest of me stays warm bundled up in my scarf and coat.

What I like most about the library, besides free Internet, is its setting. The tables and curved plastic green and clear chairs, add a modern touch to an antique building which holds to true to its original architecture. Even the coed bathrooms have a minimalist design — two white squared sinks and two mirrors, with silver hand drier and soap dispensers.

Inside there a computers available for patrons to use for free; A wide screen T.V. for people to watch movies or play video games, while sitting on one of the many black rectangle couches that envelopes its guests.

The library hosts movie nights and book reviews, along with speakers who discuss topics relating to Italian culture and literature, as well as issues in today’s society. I often come here to find information on cultural events taking place in the city. But the main reason why I come here is to feel Florence and keep in touch with my thoughts, ambitions, and the city I now call home.

Sometimes I spend hours writing on the top floor, only taking a break to roll a cigarette and enjoy the view of the Duomo’s cupola. Other times I pop in for an hour or two just to check e-mails and collect brochures about events. And once in a while, when passing through the city, I take a stroll to admire the arched hallways that support the structure, and artworks displayed throughout the building.

Although I visit to learn about what’s going on in the city, I am ashamed to say that I have never taken advantage of the events hosted by the library. This month I have made myself promise to use the library as a means to participate in Florence and to be involved in the issues and movements that are taking place in the city.

No comments: