Sunday, September 20, 2009

Preparing for the Vendemmia

I returned from Sicily by train on September 5. Since that time I have been waiting for Florence to open up again, and fill with my friends and acquaintances who left during the July/August break. In addition to that I have been desperately trying to find work. Since the city is basically dead from July to early September it has been difficult for me to find a job. Finally Friday night my roommate gave me the good news: I will be working la vendemmia (grape harvest) for three weeks starting tomorrow.

Because the harvest is in the countryside of Tuscany, in the province of Siena, her parents will host me Poggibonsi. She gave me the details of my job; I will be the only woman; I will be working with old Italian men; they will be talking about sex and may occasionally try to pinch my ass; “So be nice, joke a little and at the same time keep some distance,” said Francesca.

I heard woman get paid less than men, which leads me to believe that I will make 4 or 5 euros an hour. Regardless of the pay and hard work involved in picking the grapes Francesca told me that it is fun. I know I will be exhausted and may even have to work in the rain, but I am excited to be a part of the process that results in the best wines of the world.

2 comments:

patricia said...

Hello
I am an performing artist, single, 50 with EU passport looking ot move to Italy in early 2010. My owrk will be in Padua, Bologna, Emilia romagna areas, so I am wondering where to land. Do you know anything about Ferrara? And how are the Italian trains? Buses? I will use public transport as I do not want to deal with a car right away!. Any information would be very much appreciated
thanks so much, PK

Natalie Trusso Cafarello said...

Hi Patricia,

I have never been to Paudua, but have been to Bologna -- by train. The public transportation system in Italy is present and easy to use. I don't have a car and have had no problems traveling from city to city. Not sure about the airports in Emilia Romagna. Hope you have a worry free move and wish you the best of luck in Italy.

Natalie