Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Day in the Past


My friend and I went to the fortress city of Monteriggioni for the Medieval Festival, today. This is the second, of two weekend-long events in July, where the city returns to its medieval past. It was something I have never seen before. The city had recreated the former marketplace and inhabitants dressed in clothing of that period.

When we arrived, the town square was holding a meeting and they incorporated the crowd into the act. In the late afternoon the town royalty marched throughout to the city to the beat of drums. Along with them followed, their armory, a band and a colorful joker. My favorite part was the playful reenactment of a witch burning. Well they did not actually burn the witch — two scruffy men taunted and teased her and tied her up. At the end of the comedic act, the two were too caught up in giving themselves props that they did not notice when she managed to run away — still tied to a giant stick.

My mother would have enjoyed this act. She loves Italian comedy. It is a bit different than American, it is . . . a bit ballsy I guess, but not in an offensive way. Or maybe I should say that I do not find it offensive. The two guys were tossing a wooden instrument, shaped like an hour glass, between each other. One of them would actually catch it on piece of thick string, balance, roll, throw it back into the air and catch it again on the string. Every time he did that successfully, he would excitedly run over to a guy and kiss him on his cheek. Once he even kissed a man in the crowed on his bald head. It was fun to watch.

The whole town was one stage. There were paupers and a sheep herder walking about, along with two ugly old women on stilts. I believe the two women were the town outcasts because they were trying to steal from everyone in sight. Plus they had ratty hair and black teeth. Besides the continuous theatrical performances, there were artisans creating and selling crafts characteristic of that time.

At about 7 p.m., my friend and I decided it was time to taste test overstuffed sandwiches that were being sold at a local “bar.” The bread was carved out to fit cannellini beans, 3 types of salumi (I had specifically asked for porchetta [roast pork] to be one of the three), mushrooms, zucchini and cheese. It was filling and so good. We even paid for the meal in the old currency of grossi.

We did not stay to see the battle between Siena and Firenze (Florence). It was beginning as we were leaving. My friend asked if I would like to stay, but I decided against it. I was drained from the day in the sun, but if I am here next year, I think I would come to the festival in the later part of the day to see the reenactment of the battle.


For more information on the festival and its historical significance visit their Web site: http://www.monteriggionimedievale.com/

The city, located in the province of Siena, is accessible by bus:

http://www.sitabus.it/wps/portal

Information on where to purchase Sergio Sassetti's wooden artworks are as follows:

Sassetti Sergio
INTAGLIO LEGNO
Largo Campidoglio, int. 16
53036 PoggiBonsi (SI)
Tel. 0577.936424


No comments: