Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An Exotic Brew: American Coffee at Mama's Bakery

“I am going to walk through the streets with my cup of coffee and I don’t care if any Italian judges me,” I said to a fellow expat who was also looking forward to drinking a freshly brewed cup of American coffee at the new bagel and bakery shop, Mama's Bakery.

I had heard that a pastry shop serving real American treats such as muffins, chocolate chip cookies and brownies had recently opened in Oltrarno, but thought it only sold sweets.

My friend Emily has continuously raved to me about the lunch she had eaten at a new bagel shop today. She gave me the red and white blocked card with the address. That is when I realized that the new bakery and the new bagel shop are one in the same.

I took her advice and grabbed a bagel to go for lunch. Once inside the modern and inviting locale, which she describes as a café one would find in San Francisco, I was delightfully surprised to I discover that they also serve American coffee.

I was hesitant to believe the label at first, since many Italian bars call espresso with additional hot water caffè Americano.

“How is it brewed? I mean is it really American or is it just espresso with water,” I asked Cristina who owns the shop with her husband Matt Reinecke.

She is originally from Milan and he grew up in the San Francisco Bay area.

She showed me the coffee maker. It looked American. “But does the coffee taste American,” I wondered as she prepared a new pot. It did.

Italians do not eat or drink on the go. I once dragged two friends for a meal at McDonald’s during my stay in Florence last year. I finished my meal, but still had some Coke left. Naturally, I took my drink with me when we left.

I am not exaggerating when I say that they died of embarrassment and scolded me for bringing food outside the restaurant.

Today, I am no longer ashamed to practice my American habits in Italy. I carried my warm cup through the streets of Oltrarno thinking of the winter days when I fashionably sipped Gingerbread Lattes while rushing through the crowded streets of NYC.

8 comments:

Lorie said...

Nat,
Sammy misses the days when you and he would go Christmas shopping together but fist had to make a stop at Starbucks for your ginger bread lattes...he will be having one soon!

Portlandier said...

You write so beautifully! It's like I was right there.

Natalie Trusso Cafarello said...

Lorie,

Thank you so much for your comments. I really miss Starbucks, especially during the winter and Christmas.

MissB,

Your compliment has made me smile. I am glad that you enjoy reading my blog. Thank you.

Natalie

msmbk said...

Oh, I miss the Gingerbread Lattes with you in the morning before work! They aren't the same without you! Love reading this :-)

Natalie Trusso Cafarello said...

Mel,

Oh I miss NYC and you, especially during the holiday's. One day I will return and we can walk all over the Island, with our extra hot lattes lol!

Thanks for reading,

Natalie

Portlandier said...

Can I link to your blog too?

miketrusso said...

nat, don't be afraid to drink coffee on the go. being italian, we KNOW they have stupid tendencies. i used to love to stand out, and so should you!

cbiondi said...

I know I am behind in my reading,sorry about that! However, I must tell you that I am more impressed with every post I read(though maybe not in the order in which they were written...LOL)
I am hoping we can share a latte sometime soon...until then I will order tea! Keep up the great writing! Ciao bella!