Sunday, November 30, 2008

Two Helpings of Thanks

Fourteen heads turned in my direction. I felt a flush of embarrassment. My host and the only other American at the dinner table stared at my plate with astonishment.

She had just outed me with a loud "No way," that caused everyone to stop eating and stare. She was shocked to see my plate filled with corn bread stuffing; the same stuffing that the other guests had asked her for a second helping of only minutes before and to which she politely said, "no, there is no more."

I, being the curious and cynical type, did not take her word for it. Although she believed there was none left, I believed there was still some to be scraped out of the fantastic bird. It's not my fault I was brought up to always check the inside of the turkey at least twice for extra stuffing.

The rest of the dinner guests were Italian and I think it is safe to assume they were not aware of the holiday practice – stealing the stuffing. My brother and I usually fought over it, so my mother has learned to make a bowl of extra stuffing on the side.

But at this dinner, my friend could not know that the stuffing would be such a hit, since the guests were not accustomed to the beauty of Thanksgiving – predictability.

Yes, Thanksgiving is about Pilgrims and Indians putting aside their differences to give thanks for the abundant harvest they reaped after a long difficult winter. But the excitement that surrounds Thanksgiving dinner, is knowing that what graces your plate this year, will grace it the next and the one after that. There is comfort in eating your Mother's stuffing, drizzled with gravy and all the sides she prepares in a special way just for Thanksgiving Day.

Before I snuck into the kitchen to excavate the internals of the cooked beast that fed 18 people, I was thinking of how lucky I was to have been invited to two Thanksgiving dinners for my first time celebrating the holiday away from home.

Each dinner I was one of only two Americans. It made me happy to see people from Italy, Wales and Germany, excitedly partake in the traditional dinner that is shared by every person living in the United States.

For this dinner, I actually helped my friend prepare the intricate menu she had planned weeks prior. Just before the guests arrived, her husband and mother-in-law set up the dinning room table and called us downstairs to get a look at it. It was decorated just like autumn. China plates, candles and a warm fire added to the perfection of the meal. But what made both Thanksgiving dinners memorable was the chance to spend it with friends.

4 comments:

miketrusso said...

hey nat. just wanted u to know moms stuffing was great! of course with u gone i got extra, because lets face it, lorch and salvatore sre no match.

Lorie said...

hey, just because I dont like Thanksgiving dinner does not mean I'm no match!! AS for Sammy he can defend himself...lol
I would like to see both of you eat an entire pot of mom's bacala then lets talk about matches

Nat you were missed but I'm happy to hear you spent it with friends!!

Monika said...

Wow, I can't believe you got told off for taking two paper cups - how strange! This week I went to buy some sausages at the Santa Croce Christmas market and got the rudest lady ever. So much for Christmas spirit!! Luckily they are not all like that :)
Great blog

Natalie Trusso Cafarello said...

Hi Monika,
I guess it is the experiences, good and bad, that make life entertaining, if it were not for that incident, I probably would not have had writing material for that day.

If I pass by Santa Croce market this week, i'll be cautious of the sausage lady;)

Thanks for reading the blog and Merry Christmas!

Natalie