Saturday, November 29, 2008

I Am What I Am

I have often struggled with my identity, being brought up by two Sicilian parents, in America; however this past week, I was reminded twice that I am American, and I am happy for this.

I was blatantly told that I am American, when I took two paper cups to hold my coffee at Mama's Bakery. When the owner confronted me about it, I explained that the coffee was seeping through their cups, so naturally the thing to do is to take two.

I thought that an owner would want to know about a problem with their service, but I was wrong. It turned into a heated argument that ended when he yelled at me in Italian "this is what's wrong with you Americans."

My immediate reaction was to remind him that he is also American.

“You’re American,” I screamed back.

I took that label as an insult and left the coffee on the counter, cursing him under my breath and vowing never to go back.

"He is acting like the Florentine owners, where they think you should consider it a privilege to be dinning in their restaurant, instead of vice versa," said my Tuscan friend.

A couple days before that, my Tuscan friend gave me unsolicited advice about dating. She said I should let someone call me and not respond to a message I received from a Tuscan man, for the risk of being thought of as "a woman dying to go out."

It is natural for me to respond to a message, even if it is a guy who I have a slight interest in. I do not think of how to entice a man into falling in love with me or conjure up some mind game in order to have him chase me. Nor do I think of how he will perceive my behavior.

"Florence has always been filled with foreigners, so for the girls to differentiate themselves, they have to act the opposite of the American girls," said one of my American friends who is married to an Italian.

The Florentine women have to invoke this feeling of being unattainable, like a luxury car or label, in order to attract the Florentine guy, she explained.

I do not think about how much money a proprietor makes or loses on my business and use of tableware or if a guy considers me pushy instead of polite when I respond to his message.

I can only do what comes natural to me. If people are insulted or find it desperate, then I cannot frequent their bar or restaurant nor would we be a match for friendship or love. I can only be my American self.

5 comments:

Ela's Kitchen said...

Ciao bella,

I read this piece with great interest and I must say that what you are describing is a typical arrogant European behavior. Don't take it personal, but it's a way of life I think in many European countries. I think the most important thing is that you are the true you. A very wise professor told me once: "Don't go out there and change the world, but don't let the world change you". I hold these words close to me in everything I do!
You go girl! :-)))))

Portlandier said...

Good for you for being exactly who you are and not changing to please someone.

cbiondi said...

Nat, I am so happy that you had this coffee altercation, because it gave you back a piece of yourself that you might have misplaced for a while. You should go back there one day and thank that guy for the reminder. Also, the writing was great and I am really proud of you! Awesome!

Karen S.G. said...

I am proud of you, Natalie! I'm sorry it has taken me forever to comment, but I love your blog, your introspective writings and your honest and open sharing of your life. This blog reminds me of when you and I sat on the hill behind Voinovich and discussed our big fears and all the big questions. I am so glad that you are finding answers in small and big ways! I only wish I could be there to share in them with you. But I'm glad we have this way and I will definitely be staying in contact better in the future. Miss you!

Natalie Trusso Cafarello said...

Eliana, Missb, cbiondi and Emma Karen,

Ladies, I cannot tell you how surprised I am to read your letters of support. I did not expect such positive feedback.

I was hesitant to write this post and sought advice from fellow blogger on how to gracefully recount this ironic yet disappointing experience to readers.

Thank you for the compliments and for reading my blog.

Baci,

Natalie