Friday, January 9, 2009

Catching Thoughts

Yesterday afternoon as I briskly walked from the city center to my apartment a thought about D. floated into my head.

“I’m going to hear from him. I don’t know when, but I know it will be soon and when I least expect it.”

The last time I had a thought like this, was when I was getting over the Albanian. At that time I was angry because I felt that he was creeping into my head because he was not letting me go, and he was thinking of me. Several days later I heard from him.

This time the thought about D. quickly floated out of my head. I did not dwell on it and I was not even thinking about him after.

When I arrived home I decided to chill. I caught up on some shows via the Web. I snuggled under a down-feathered blanket and propped my laptop on my belly so that I could rest while watching.

In between a download, I refreshed my e-mail page. There it was. Under the “from” was his full name. It was so unexpected that I had to blink before I believed it.

I did not know what to do. I wanted to read it, but then I did not want to read. So I did what I did the last time I received messages from an ex who angrily swore he had no feelings for me, fell of the face of the earth (basically in my mind he was dead), and then suddenly came back to life — I called my Russian friend in NYC, Yelena.

Yelena always keeps it real. She has a deep intuition and feeling about people and life, and her cynicism brings my head out of the clouds, yet she shares my hope and faith in love. Her life guidelines usually begin with “In my country we have a saying . . . ”

Whenever a married man shows a slight interest in me she says “ . . . a wife is like a wall, she can be moved.”

Whenever I talk about finding someone she says “ . . . it is important that two people are looking in the same direction, not into each others eyes.”

After the beach trip with D. she told me things that I did not want to hear, but I knew she was right. “He is not free Natalie. Let him go.”

And I did. But every time I cancel him, he comes back.

I told her how I thought about him for a second today.

“You know feelings and thoughts flow, so you caught his thought,” she said.

We read the message.

My first reaction to the letter was anger. I do not believe in keeping in touch with an ex, especially if I was emotionally involved with the person.

“What the fuck is this, now that he is leaving Florence, he wants to see me. Where has he been for the past three months,” I cried to Yelena.

“It is like he has something to close with you. You have closed things, but maybe he has not,” she said. “Don’t cry. Did I tell you that my belly dance teacher died?”

She always tells me that her 80-year-old dance instructor — who looked 50 and danced like a star — passed away at the worst possible time. It never fits into the conversation, so hearing it always makes me laugh through my tears.

The tone of the letter was friendly. “We are not friends, why is he writing like we are friends,” I asked her for clarity.

“He is trying to be breezy. What are you going to do? You do not have to meet him.” Then there was silence that Yelena broke with a sharp judgment.

“What a fucking idiot.”

She continued on with her advice. “What is he going to tell you, that now that he is leaving he has feelings for you, like what are you going to do with these words,” she said in here signature Russian accent.

“You know I cannot, not see him and we do not know what he wants or what he is going to say,” I said

“Why. Why do you have to see him?”

Even though she pushed me to think about it, I knew I did not have to explain why I would eventually have to respond and meet him.

I am angry and upset that he did not just leave. I was happy not knowing anything about him or his life. I also feel that he is just writing me so that he can leave Florence on good terms.

I feel that when men act this way it is selfish. They should let a woman move on. But I know I will have to write him back soon, and I know I will have to see him. I am just too upset to write him back now.

Follow this story:
Beginnings
The Turn Off
Deleting

5 comments:

Portlandier said...

I have always looked at your story with your ex as inspiration for what I should be doing. I understand what your feeling - but I don't want you to get hurt by his selfish behavior. You are obviously more evolved than he is and I hope he has good intentions with seeing you again.

Why don't they just go away forever?

Natalie Trusso Cafarello said...

Hi MissB,

Well, I did not date D. for that long, but the truth is I began to fall in love with him after the moment I met him.

He was such a disappointment because I met him after my ex and thought that he was an honest better person. In the end he was worst than my ex, my ex was a piece of crap, but he never pretended to be more than that, I was the one who put good qualities in him.

with D. he acted as if he was noble and had good intentions. In any case, they never go away because they do not know what they want. You are such a sweet girl to be concerned about me, but do not worry I am not hurt, just pissed off. I have decided not to see him because I am more involved than he is.

when are you coming to Italy???

Natalie

Karen S.G. said...

I love what Yalena says about two people needing to be looking in the same direction and not into each others' eyes. That makes SO much sense, Natalie! And it's put so ... poetically and in such simple terms. It is precisely the advice I need now - and it is wonderful advice to keep in mind w/all serious relationships. You have to be on the same page, and be able to communicate that you ARE indeed on the same page.

I also wanted to tell you that I am finally reading "He's Just Not That Into You" for an escape from job hunting. It's humorous, though I do not agree with all of its advice or takes on dating. AJH is suspect of dating books, and I'd have to agree... but it is just a funny book that reminds me that we must always find something to laugh about when dealing with dating and, more importantly, with men. Especially the kind that don't leave... but if you want them gone, you leave them. Don't ever forget that you are in control. Fate and goodness knows what else puts them in our way, but we are always in control. (I'm preaching to myself as well haha - I tend to let everyone else make up the rules - no more.) I hope that you find peace and I am proud of you for deciding what YOU need and not seeing him.

Best always * Bisous!

Natalie Trusso Cafarello said...

Well said Karen Scott. I think many people forget that they are in command of their life, personal, love and professional.

Stop reading that book! I can give you Yelena's number instead and trust me, she will solve the situation with a great Russian anecdote;)

Many kisses my friend, I miss you terribly,

Natalie

Karen S.G. said...

You are so right about the book! AJH is also giving me a hard time about it in his joking way - you know which way that is :)! I know I deserve it... besides, the majority of the book is written by a MAN. Ha!

I miss you terribly and truly, truly do hope to not only talk soon but see each other in the near future. AJH and I may just have to fly on over to Italia!

I am writing this before I read your entry on the inauguration; I am excited to hear your thoughts, not only because we had our intense political talks in that roach-infested hallway in Voinovich, but also from your perspective as an ex-pat :). Thank you for always sharing!

more bisous!