Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Change?

I caught the tail end of change taking place in the United States today. Busy writing and trying to figure out what bus will take me to and from the inauguration celebration held by Democrats Abroad at New York University, I missed the swearing in and speech of President Obama.

It was raining while I waited for the bus to take me outside the city center to the NYU campus. Since Washington D.C. is six hours behind Italy, I thought I only missed the oath of office.

When I arrived at the address there was a long, straight driveway lined with trees. It was so dark that I was not sure I had the right place. I tiptoed on the gravel trying not to get my boots wet, because that would be the real tragedy of the night — not missing Obama’s speech.

Barely halfway up the seemingly endless drive, two Italians stopped me, one was smoking a hand rolled cigarette. I asked them if I was at NYU, they assured me I had indeed found it. Before I could join the festivities they had to make sure I was on the guest list. I was.

Thankfully I did not have to walk all the way up the driveway, the location of the party was just off the path to my right. As I approached I heard people soulfully belting out a tune.

Inside, I walked around, climbed up the stairs and found the most popular room, the one with the free wine. I was happy to see a friend, who immediately gave me crap, for being late, which I deserved. I missed the whole inauguration. Thankfully he gave me a recap.

I am not a Democrat and I am not completely sure about this “change” everyone is talking about, but as he repeated snippets of Obama’s speech and detailed the event, I felt a flush of pride and emotion. Because history happened today. And because I love my country, the forefathers, and people that struggled and died to make a dream possible.

The more I live in Italy, the more I realize that although the United States is not perfect and the economy has taken a dive, the Americans have a pride and confidence in their government like no other people I have ever met.

The Italians I have met from Tuscany, Milan, Torino and especially Sicily, have this indifference or negativity towards their government and lack belief in possibilities. That is so difficult for me to grasp.

How can one not have pride and joy when a new president takes office? The ceremony itself, to see democracy alive, that someone is putting their hand on the Bible that Lincoln used, gives me chills, regardless if I voted for them or not.

Today in response to Obama’s call for service the Democrats Abroad held a successful blood drive. Cathleen Compton, treasurer of the Florence chapter, assured me that they would continue to support the president and the party platform.

Attendents of the festivities echoed thier support and expectations of the new president.

"To change the way people think, to move humanity towards oneness," said Dianne Carriker (pictured above) who has been living in Florence for 35 years.

Like others who are determined Obama will rebuild the global U.S. image, she spoke about the necessity for America to be united with the rest of the world.

My hesitance towards change aside, I am happy that Americans support each other in Florence and keep our countries spirit alive, by honoring the requests of the president.

As for this change everyone is talking about — only time will tell.


1 comment:

Portlandier said...

I agree with your being skeptical about all this change--I hope the country has not set it's hopes too high.