Thursday, January 22, 2009

Passing on the ABCs

For a foreigner who comes here without any contacts, friends or family to support them financially, Florence — a city where its locals survive by personal networks, kinship and inheritance — can pull everything out of person, especially those who only have themselves to rely on, in order to make some money.

In order to avoid complete poverty I have depended on the one thing that is a natural reflex and an integrated activity of daily life. I have begun teaching English.

Although there is a high demand for the language, whether it is for business or pleasure, it is still difficult to find students who set time aside to study consistently. Then there are those who want English lessons, but do not want pay for it. So they underhandedly invite you to dinner, pushing Italian aside, they slyly insist on making you feel at home by only speaking their second language.

Presently I have four students, two of which are 7 years old, that more or less meet with me on a weekly basis.

When I first visited the home of child a., I could hear curious whispers in anticipation to meet me while I walked up the stairwell. Upon meeting her, she looked at me with questioning eyes and had a hint of embarrassment to greet me with a “hello.” At the same time, there was a sense of excitement, to have a special visitor in the home.

It was so odd, to see a youngster looking up at me, eagerly waiting for me to properly instruct her. It is scary yet thrilling at the same time to have someone interested in me, my culture, language and habits.

Teaching children is draining because I have to find ways to grab their attention and keep them sitting in their chairs. Or if we are playing, I have to find creative ways to thread in English sentences and phrases.

As much as it is draining, it is also rewarding, because children take risks. Little is needed for them to overcome their embarrassment. They mimic my words without thinking of how they will sound or if they are speaking correctly.

A couple of days ago I had my second lesson with a. and she was already asking me to sing the ABC song. She and I sang together teaching her friend the English alphabet.

Teaching English is worth more than just the pay I receive. It makes me proud to pass on a piece of my heritage to someone who is open to differences and learning.

1 comment:

moonshadow said...

Hi,

I seem to have quite a bit in common with you. I studied in Florence and lived there from Oct. 2005 - April 2006. I met an Albanian (at Slowly on Via Porta Rossa) who I fell madly in love with... We are now married. He proposed to me at Open Bar on the Ponte Vecchio and we married in Albania.

Anyway, we are married 3 years now and he will be getting his American Citizenship soon. We'd like to move to Italy by next summer. I am a teacher here in the states. Do you have any suggestions on applying/ working in the Florence area?

Any advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can actually e-mail me at moonshadow81973@yahoo.com

Thank you!

Amy